Welcome to Dark Universe

What Does Brendan Fraser Think of 2017’s ‘The Mummy’?

Brendan Fraser

Brendan Fraser, one of the most well known of 90’s stars, is best known for his lead role in Universal’s ‘The Mummy’ series.  But what exactly does he think of 2017’s reboot and of Tom Cruise?

brendan fraser

17 years later and we still love Rick O’ Connell!

Brendan Fraser is back!  He’s currently set to star in the upcoming season of SHOWTIME’s popular series The Affair and will next be seen in The Field, which features the directorial debut of India’s Rohit Karn Batra.  Fraser, popular during the 90’s, may best be remembered as the swashbuckling adventurer and Indiana Jones successor, Rick O’ Connell, in The MummyThe Mummy Returns, and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.  With the release of The Mummy and its sequel on Netflix a few months back, many have rediscovered this modern classic, while others have just been newly introduced to one of Universal’s longest running properties.  It’s actually quite interesting that there’s a great body of people that are under the impression that Alex Kurtzman’s 2017 reboot is actually a remake of the 1999 version.  The generality of the 1932 original by Karl Freund being overlooked is just yet another marker that the Universal Monsters films are generational, but that the ’99 action/adventure is still widely considered as the Mummy movie for general audiences.

In a recent interview with Brendan Fraser, he was asked what he thought “on Tom Cruise being roped in for The Mummy reboot,” and he had the following to say:

“I am flattered as Tom Cruise is a really big movie star.  There were many movies made before the one that I was lucky to be a part of.  I am certain that this one will be unique.  I have met Tom before and he is a nice guy.  He will be great and the film will be exciting.  I will buy the ticket to watch it on the opening day.”

Brendan Fraser has always been one of the most entertaining, lovable, and down to earth of celebrities and it’s great hearing the kind sentiments and good will he’s expressed towards the production of Alex Kurtzman’s The Mummy, along with headlining star, Tom Cruise.

The Mummy opens June 9, 2017.

SOURCES: Times of India; Twitter

(Steven Biscotti – @reggiemantleIII)

About the author

Steven Biscotti

Mild mannered reporter, Steven Biscotti, has an avid interest in all things comic books, movies, and music (especially pertaining to Coldplay.) He stands 5'7" tall and prides himself on being the same height as Tom Cruise. Steven's favorite monster movie? "The Mummy (1999)."

Readers Comments (16)

1. Unless Brendan made those comments to your face, I would not be so quick to believe them. To begin with, he “apostrophes” and only a foreigner would say “I will buy the ticket” and “on the opening day.” Honestly, first photos from 2004 being passed off as “recent” everywhere online and now quotes being attributed to him that he never said. He isn’t bitter about the new movie but he isn’t supporting it either. Why should he ?

• We could see that you’re a Brendan Fraser fan just like us. Thank you for the comment.

• Hey ChamCham or should i call you Regan Fraser.

What does your brother Brendan think about you talking like this about him. Just like in IMDB always acting like you know him and always telling people what they can or cant say about Brendan.

If Brendan was here he would be ashamed of you

• I am not Regan, and you would know that if you had actually read enough of my posts on IMDb where I have accused others, probably you, of being Brendan’s errant brother. If you had read my comment sober, you would have seen that I was defending him (as usual)which has become a 24/7 job for which I am underpaid and overworked and from which I have decided to take a much needed hiatus permanently. Better things to do with better people than I have ever found on the internet. And IF Brendan were indeed here, I know that he would agree with me. Namaste.
        (unsubscribed from this blog as of right now.)

2. I think Brendan is more positive and he chose to look at the brighter side. From a different perspective, he is well-pleased to see that the blockbuster movie where he top-billed was given to an A-list and an academy award-winning actor Tom Cruise. It was not just given to somebody who is amateurish. That also goes to show Tom Cruise was impressed with the well-acted roles in the first Mummy trilogy and that he didn’t have second thoughts about accepting a hand-me-down role. A lot of reboot movies failed when they were not careful in selecting the casts like Superman returns, Incredible Hulk, , clash of the titans, karate kid, Arthur, fame etc. Brendan Fraser obviously is aware that it will take just a little time before he is ready for another new role just in case there’s sequel to the mummy reboot as he is still in the process of getting fit. And he is working on it progressively. His age doesn’t matter as he’s still good looking and more refreshed in his recent interviews. Even a more mature role he can handle better as he has got the right mind, attitude and right emotions for it. Brendan…you are very funny and no one can match your versatility and you are so eloquent the way you deliver your words during interviews makes you unique from everyone. We’re all happy and excited to see you back. More of Brenda Fraser please…

3. I think Brendan is more positive and he chose to look at the brighter side. From a different perspective, he is well-pleased to see that the blockbuster movie where he top-billed was given to an A-list and an academy award-winning actor Tom Cruise. It was not just given to somebody who is amateurish. That also goes to show Tom Cruise was impressed with the well-acted roles in the first Mummy trilogy and that he didn’t have second thoughts about accepting a hand-me-down role. Brendan Fraser obviously is aware that it will take just a little time before he is ready for another role just in case there’s a sequel to the mummy reboot as he is still in the process of getting fit. And he is working on it progressively. His age doesn’t matter as he’s still good looking and more refreshed in his recent interviews. Even a more mature role he can handle better as he has got the right mind, attitude and right emotions for it. Brendan…you are very funny and no one can match your versatility.You are so eloquent the way you deliver your words during interviews making you unique from everyone. We’re all happy and excited to see you back. More of Brendan Fraser please…

4. Sam Anderson Beaudry March 14, 2017 @ 9:04 pm

OMG,I literally cannot stand Tom Cruise. I WILL NEVER pay money to see ANYTHING Cruise is in. Brendan Fraser, on the otherhand, I adore. LOTS of Iatse work up in Vancouver Andhra y British Columbia.

• peter Miranda June 7, 2017 @ 8:56 am

I can not believe idiots comments that brendon fraser is apparently pissed about the new mummy??!1
      what a load of shit!!
      Brendon is an artist celebrity actor ,Tom Cruise is an artist actor celebrity. Brendon wouldn’t be saying the stupid carping shit about the movie ,,,Exactly the same as Tom Cruise wouldn’t say any shit about Brendan if it was the other way around.
      These are profession people making movies and doing theier best to make people happy and entertained and escape the shit in the world.
      YOU MORANS that spend your time writing this shit that you have NO idea about and don;t personally know these artists should keep your crap to yourselves!

5. The new Mummy movie has to be seen with a different set of eyes, just like many reboots. I often think reboots get a bad rep, because people often want to see the same movie they saw years ago only with new technology and, god forbid, similar actors combined with a cameo of an old one. Someone mentioned “Karate Kid” was not as successful, ok so no “wax on, wax off” was quoted, yet the essence of the story remained. It wasn’t a terrible movie. Pop culture, however, was very very different iin the 80’s. “Karate” in the West was “in”, there were no other awesome fighting effects like depicted in newer films. Plus lets be honest, the ones who saw the movie and did not like it were people who grew up with KK movies. I asked my nieces and nephews which one THEY liked, they said without hesitation “The new one”. I loved BF in The Mummy, TC, though may bring a different flavor to the movie that BF lacked. We just have to use another set of eyes when we see it. Literally, a complete other set. LOL!

• I agree very much with this sentiment. Between Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, James Bond… I could keep going on and on, case in point, everyone is going to have their favorite. I do believe if there was more awareness of “The Mummy” 1932, we’d see less of a comparison with the 1999 version that we’re seeing now. I also enjoyed Brendan Fraser’s ‘Mummy’ films and much like he said, there have been ‘Mummy’ films long before him and there will be more after. Hopefully, more people will give Alex Kurtzman’s “The Mummy” a viewing and with “another set of eyes” as you put it.

6. I just gone through this article and fond it is very much informative . Click here to know the latest updates about the mummy film

7. Everyone is acting like Brendan disappeared because he was washed up or lost his edge and needs to make a comeback. Give the dude a rest. He cranked out great movies before and after the Mummy and went through a HORRENDOUS and financially devastating divorce. Those things can take years to come back from emotionally and monetarily. Can’t a person take time off or be depressed without everyone photoshopping him turning into the Crypt Keeper? It wouldn’t have made sense for them to cast him in the new movie when the other was a period piece. A subplot for why he’s 100 years old would be cheesy. Offering him a cameo would be an insult to his A List status. Everyone just sit back, and rent something awesome he was in like The Quiet American or Blast From The Past and wait for him to rise above all the petty crap he doesn’t deserve to be buried under.

8. peter Miranda June 7, 2017 @ 8:48 am

what a load of shit!!
    These are proffesion people making movies and doing theier best to make people happy and entertained and escape the shit in the world.

• Peter, I agree with you on most respects. They are professional actors with grace enough to support each other. It never hurts to maintain good relations with those that by doing so will return the courtesy in kind.
      I have never “fixated” on male actors, though Brendon, Tom and Brad are right around my age. Yes, this is a jab at the prevalent age bigotry I see now days. Really this whole aging actor or actress is really pissing me off. Whatever, right? The funny thing is that you’re looking at your inevitable future, it’s gonna be you and you can’t do anything to stop it. Dang, went on a rant… sorry about that. Now where were we… Ah, yes.. The reviews I have recently read e.g. “A.O. Scott from the “esteemed N.Y. Times”” literally points out that Tom’s character deliberately points out his hetrosexuality. I mean wow, did you know that Tom’s not gay?
      On a side note, I recently saw an interview with Chelsea Manning. To make this clear, anyone who willfully disseminates anything to unauthorized entities should face instant death. However, what she said when asked what she considered herself to be and she replied “I’m just me!” Raised my level of respect for her to levels you couldn’t comprehend. Sorry, I totally hate labels and those that insist on using them. Hey, It’s just me.
      It may seem as if I have veered off the main subject, but not really. The films produced these days have been so constricted in who is cast, the message delivered and how the wind is blowing. With social media being used by every group whose agenda is to try and sway public opinion to their cause, you will be crucified by some of them. Support from the groups that agree with you, little if none at all. Hate from those that don’t agree with you, that you can count on.
      So here is Tom Cruise, all into Scientology. Hey, I’m an open minded person and as long as legal what right do i have to berate someones lifestyle. People need to realize that someones prefference, sexaual, religious, political or whatever should never be the cause of discrimination. I mean really, who cares if he’s not gay? Get over it!

9. I enjoyed every second when I saw The Mummy and never expected it to be so exciting and funny. I think the critics and fans of the previous films are really wrong for rejecting this movie which is a reboot of the 1930’s classic and it’s more entertaining and has a better story line that takes place in the present. Props to Tom Cruise for choosing to do a horror movie after Interview with Vampire, he always gives 100 percent and does his own stunts at 55 unlike Brendan Fraser.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks (1)

1. The Mummy (2017) – Appleyesnears